It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of our friend and competitive curler – Kevin Wiebe, age 55. He will be missed by his wife Krista and daughter Caitlyn.
Kevin began Curling at the Fort Rouge CC. He was drawn into curling very much for the social aspect of the game. As such, he was very well known for curling with teams comprised of friends, which he very much enjoyed. Later in his curling career, he decided to take things to a more competitive level and joined the Mark Lukowich Team.
Kevin was not only a player, but he gave back to the game as well through serving on the Board of Directors of the Manitoba Curling Tour. In the past years, Kevin has been our Webmaster, he designed the MCT Logo, he sourced all of our print materials, and along with Gord Green, he sponsored the Tour.
Summary of Kevin’s Curling Achievements:
- Curled on a team in MCA Bonspiel that lost their car (not towed but really lost it). Kevin’s words “We lost our car so we had to go get another one”
- Icemaker of the 1st Ironman Bonspiel (and a few more until he passed on his craft). Was the man who invented curling ice for the Bonspiel on the Red River spending many late nights all alone on the river perfecting the craft. Listening to stories of that adventure were fascinating.
- Webmaster for the now defunct Winnipeg Cash League. A league which went a long way to enhance his competitive curling.
- Winner of the 125th MCA Bonspiel (last ever MCA Bonspiel)
- Winner of the MB Open Bonspiel
- Competed in 6 out of the last 7 Men’s Provincial Championships
Kevin, you will be greatly missed by everyone in Manitoba curling community.
Special thanks to Mark for pulling this together.
Feel free to share your comments or a story about Kevin below.